Let’s face it. When it comes to trifle, most people have their own cherished family recipe that has been handed down from generation to generation.
It kind of reminds me of the classic potato salad. Ask ten people for their recipe, and you will get ten different variations.
Today, I am going to share our family recipe for making, in my humble opinion, the best trifle ever, according to my kids and husband anyway.
It comes at no surprise when I say that trifle is hubbies and kids favorite dessert of all time.
Best of all, you can use store bought items, which is great for us busy mums.
It is best to prepare the trifle a day before the occasion, or at least a few hours in advance.
The Best Trifle For Any Occasion
- hand mixer
- a large glass bowl to assemble the trifle
- 2 cans peaches in juice
- 1 milk chocolate bar
- 1 packet jelly powder I use rasperry or strawberry flavor
- 300 ml cream
- 2 bananas
- 400 gramms sponge store bought or homemade
- 500 ml custard
- Make the jelly according to the packet instructions. Make it in advance so it has time to set.
- Open the cans of peaches and drain the juice. Cut peaches into rough cubes.
- Cut the bananas into slices.
- Gather all your ingredients except the cream and chocolate bar.
- Start by adding the first layer of sponge into a large bowl.
- Add jelly, and top with the peaches.
- Arrange the banana slices at the edge of the bowl.
- Put a generous layer of custard on top of the jelly and peaches.
- Repeat this procedure two times. The last layer should be custard. Please leave at least 1" for the cream layer.
- Whip the cream until it forms soft peaks and put on top of the last layer, the custard.
- Garnish with grated chocolate.
- Cover the bowl and put it into the fridge for at least four hours so the flavor can develop.