My family just loves my traditional German Potato salad and asks me all time to make it. Not only are we eating it traditionally on Christmas Eve with frankfurters and small meat balls (the most tastiest ever – recipe still to come) but also as the most popular side dish for barbecues.
It is also a great dish to take to a tail gate party or a picnic.
You can prepare it a day in advance and leave it in the fridge to keep it fresh. In fact, ‘my’ German Potato salad should be made at least four hours before you want to eat it.
This way, all the flavors can develop and make it the best potato salad you’ve ever tasted.
If you asked a German family how they make their potato salad, you’ll most likely get hundreds of variations.
The recipe I am sharing with you is the way my mum and grandmother have made it. It is our German family tradition.
We also add a secret ingredient that you won’t expect. And by the way, you’ll only need four ingredients. It can’t get easier than that.
Ready to check out this easy and tasty recipe? Here we go …
The Best German Potato Salad – So Easy And Tasty
German Potato Salad
- 1,5 to 2 kg small potatoes
- 5 gherkins
- 1 medium sized white onion
- 1/4 apple
- 1 jar mayonaise
- salt and pepper I use pink Himalayan salt
- 1/3 cup gherkin brine from the jar
- In a large pot bring the unpeeled potatoes to a boil. Simmer until they are tender.
- Drain off the water and set it aside. Wait until the potatoes are cool enough to handle.
- Now peel off the skin and cut into small cubes.
- Place the potato cubes into a large bowl.
- Cut the gherkins and the onion into small cubes and add to the potatoes.
- Lastly, dice a 1/4 of an apple finely and add. This is our secret ingredient and makes the salad even more flavorsome.
The Salad Sauce aka Dressing
- In a small bowl combine the mayonnaise, some gherkin brine, salt, and freshly ground pepper until smooth.
- Pour over the salad ingredients and mix with a large spoon until well combined.
- Cover the salad with cling wrap and put it into the fridge.
- Half an hour before serving take it out of the fridge and serve at room temperature.
- Add more salt and pepper if needed.