The smell of homemade freshly baked bread is just irresistible. It makes me feel excited and reminds me of my childhood at the same time.
This recipe of our homemade potato bread, Focaccia style, is an absolute winner. In fact, you won’t want to buy bread from the shop anymore.
Related post: Rustic Sourdough Focaccia Bread and No-Knead Sourdough Bread
The recipe is straightforward and easy to make. The mashed potatoes help to make the bread soft on the inside with a nice chewy crust on the outside.
Best of all, you can make so many different bread styles with this dough like a loaf of crusty flatbread, focaccia style bread, and, of course, my kids’ favorite food: the most delicious pizza pie.
This homemade potato bread recipe is enough to make two large flatbreads. So if you have a smaller family, you can even put half of the dough in the freezer for later use.
You will need mashed potatoes for this recipe. You can either prepare a fresh batch of mashed potatoes or just use any leftovers you may have from dinner the night before.
I do love to serve this tasty potato bread with our yummy corn fritters, vegetarian lasagna (recipe still to come), or with a simple pasta dish.
Recipe For Homemade Potato Bread
Homemade Potato Bread Recipe
- 1 large bowl
- 1 large baking pan
The Yeast Mixture
- 2 cups lukewarm water
- 1 tsp dry yeast
- 1 tsp honey or sugar
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 6 cups bread flour
- 2 to 3 tsp salt I use pink Himalayan salt
- 1 cup (leftover) mashed potatoes
- a few pinches of pink Himalayan salt
- a few pinches of chili flakes or ground cayenne pepper
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Making The Dough
- First, get the yeast mixture ready: put all the ingredients into a big enough jar and wait for about ten minutes until the yeast starts to froth
- Put the ingredients for the dough into a bowl and mix roughly with your hands
- Once the yeast mixture is ready, put the liquid into the bowl and mix with your hands until the dough forms a ball. It should only take a couple of minutes.
- Cover the bowl with foil and a hand towel and put it into a warm place
- Leave to rise for about 1.5 hours
- Dust your workbench with flour and tip the dough onto your workspace
- Divide the dough in half and put one half of the dough aside for later
Making The Bread
- Grease a baking tin with some oil and put the dough in
- Using your fingertips, flatten the dough to your desired thickness
- Press little dimples into the bread to get it ready for the toppings
- Finally, drizzle the olive oil over the bread and sprinkle with salt and chiliflakes
- Bake in a preheated oven at 200 degrees/392 F (fanforced setting) for around 15 to 20 minutes
- Serve the bread while it is still warm! Yum 🙂
I do hope you like this recipe. If you have any questions or comments, please leave them in the comment box below.