Welcome to my step-by-step guide to make a fermented Feijoa drink. This delicious and refreshing drink, believe it or not, is made using the feijoa skin!
How cool is that? Something you would usually throw out can be used to make something truly tasty and amazingly flavorful.
Related post: The Best Feijoa (Pineapple Guava) Crumble Cake – An Easy And Delicious Dessert
If you don’t have a feijoa (aka Pineapple Guava) tree in your garden, it might be time to get one or two trees to plant in your backyard.
The feijoa tree is in my opinion one of the easiest-to-grow fruit trees I know of. All you have to do is prune the tree once a year, and water it once in a while.
As a reward, you can enjoy an abundance of delightfully aromatic fruit in the fall.
How to eat: simply cut the feijoa in half and scoop out the pulp with a spoon. So yum!
To make our fermented feijoa drink, you’ll only need a big glass jar, sugar, water, and of course, the feijoa skin.
Scoop the pulp into an empty ice cream container, and use it either for making our Feijoa crumble cake, feijoa ice cream, or to put into the freezer for later use.
You have to be a bit patient when you make the drink because it will take around 3 to 5 days until the feijoa drink is ready.
Start off by washing the feijoas in warm water. Gently pat them dry, and start cutting the feijoas in half.
Scoop out the pulp, and put the skin into the large glass jar until you almost reached the top.
Now add the sugar, and fill up the jar with water. Make sure that the skin is under the water. I use a rock, which I put into a ziplock bag, to weigh the feijoa skin down.
Watch the video here, to see exactly how I do it.
Finally, cover the jar with a clean cloth, and leave it on your kitchen bench.
After 3 days take out the skin with a slotted spoon and discard them into your compost or food scraps.
Add a bit more sugar, and fill up the jar with water. Cover again and leave for one or two more days on your benchtop.
Lastly, I fill the drink into empty clean glass bottles (e.g. wine bottles), put the lid on, and chill for a few hours in the fridge.
Enjoy cold as is or mix it with vodka for a nice refreshing cocktail. So delicious!!!
How To Make Fermented Feijoa Drink – My Step-By-Step Guide
Delicious Fermented Feijoa Drink
- 1 70 ounces plastic container with a lid I use an empty ice cream container to store the feijoa pulp
- 2 kg feijoas
- 1/2 cup sugar
- enough water to cover the feijoa skin
- Wash the feijoas in water to get rid of any dirt
- Cut the feijoas in half and take out the pulp with a spoon. The skin goes in the large glass jar and the pulp into the plastic container.
- Fill up the jar until the feijoa halves have almost reached the top. Leave 2 inches free to the rim.
- Either use the feijoa pulp to make a feijoa crumble or put them into the freezer for later use.
- Sprinkle 1/4 of sugar over the feijoa halves. Add enough water to cover the skin. Make sure they are completely covered. You might have to use a heavy object to weigh the feijoa halves down.
- Cover the jar with a clean tea towel and leave it on your bench for three days.
- After 3 days, remove the feijoa skin and dispose into your compost. Fill up the jar with water and add another 1/4 of sugar to the jar. Stir and taste. If you like it sweeter add some more sugar. Cover with a tea towel and leave for 2 more days.
- On day 5, fill the drink into clean glass bottles e.g. empty wine bottles, and put them into your fridge.
- Enjoy the drink chilled, with some ice cubes, or as a cocktail.