I simply love baking with sourdough. Everything you bake that has a sourdough starter as a leavening agent just tastes more flavorsome.
That is especially true for our delicious buttermilk sourdough pancakes, as well as sourdough pizza, and of course sourdough bread.
In this post, I will show you how easy it is to make these light and fluffy sourdough pancakes with buttermilk from scratch.
For this easy pancake recipe, I am using a sourdough starter that has been given to me by a friend. I keep it in the fridge and feed it with flour and water once a week.
Read more here about how to make your own sourdough starter. and what the benefits are for your health.
Before using it, I leave the sourdough starter on the kitchen bench at room temperature so it can ‘come back to life.’ What I mean by that is that you can see when bubbles appear. Therefore the starter has become active and ready to use.
Pancakes, just like waffles, are always a hit in my family.
These simple and delicious buttermilk sourdough pancakes are crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside – the perfect treat for Sunday morning breakfasts or lunch.
I like to let the batter rest for around 30 minutes so the sourdough can develop an even better flavor.
We love to eat our sourdough pancakes with lots of butter and a generous drizzle of either maple syrup or golden syrup.
If we are feeling very fancy, a generous serving of thick cream is just divine.
How To Make Simple And Delicious Buttermilk Sourdough Pancakes
Simple And Delicious Buttermilk Sourdough Pancakes
- A large bowl
- A nonstick griddle or frying pan
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sourdough starter
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda mixed with 2 tbsp milk
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- extra oil for greasing the pan
- Mix the ingredients in the order of the above list.
- Leave the batter to rest for around 30 minutes. The batter should have a smooth thick consistency.
- Heat up the greased griddle on medium heat.
- Using a tablespoon, put the batter in. Wait for the bubbles to appear.
- Once the bubbles appear, flip the pancake with a spatula.
- The pancake is cooked when it is golden brown on both sides. It should take around 3 to 4 minutes.
- Serve with your favorite toppings. Enjoy!
Please leave a comment and subscribe to our YouTube channel ‘Sweet As Cooking’.