Now, this crispy fried eggplant recipe will convince even avid carnivores to eat vegetables (and fruit) more often. My husband who loves his steaks can’t go past these delightful and tasty crispy eggplant slices.
Especially when I serve them with our flavorsome dip made with a mix of sour cream, mayonnaise, chopped chives, grated garlic, and olive oil.
Eggplant or Aubergine is actually a fruit (read more) that is widely used in cuisines around the world. Think of the Greek dish Moussaka, the Middle Eastern dip Baba Ganoush, or the French staple dish ratatouille. The list could go on…
Other vegetarian dishes we love: The BEST Stuffed Mushrooms With Cream Cheese and Scrumptious Tortilla Egg Rolls.
Eggplant has to be eaten cooked. It has the ability to absorb any flavors which makes it perfect for all sorts of dishes.
Because eggplant has a similar texture to meat, it is widely used in vegetarian and vegan cooking.
My crispy pan-fried eggplant recipe is very simple and requires only three ingredients: eggs, panko crumbs, and extra virgin olive oil for frying.
Instead of panko breadcrumbs, you can also use fine breadcrumbs. The choice is yours.
Of course, you need salt and pepper for seasoning, and don’t forget to make the accompanying dip to go with it. It is worth it.
I do love to make this pan-fried eggplant dish to have as an appetizer, to have as a side dish with spaghetti marinara, or to take to pot luck dinners.
Try it for yourself and let me know in the comments below how you liked it.
Crispy Fried Eggplant – Better Than Meat
Please note that the recipe contains affiliate links to buy equipment I have used or recommended. Read more here.
Crispy Fried Eggplant – An Easy Appetizer or Side Dish
- 1 whisk or a fork
- 1 medium eggplant
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup panko crumbs
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp sour cream
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 clove grated garlic
- 1/3 cup chopped chives
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- freshly ground pepper and salt to taste
Crispy fried eggplant
- Cut the eggplant into even slices.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- In a bowl, whisk the eggs with a pinch of salt. Add the panko crumbs to the other bowl.
- Dip the slices of eggplant first in the whisked egg and then in the panko crumbs.
- Heat up the olive oil in a large frying pan.
- Place the crumbed eggplant in the pan and gently fry on both sides until golden brown. Make sure to fry them on low to medium heat. You don't want them burned.
- Mix all ingredients in a small bowl. Season to taste. Serve alongside the fried eggplant slices.
bestwafflemakersandmore.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon properties including, but not limited to, Amazon.com. Amazon offers a small commission on products sold through its affiliate links.